Kyusa offer programs centered around three key strategic pillars:
- RESCUE: Crisis businesses to help them bounce back
- ENABLE: Micro and small businesses to develop the systems they need to succeed
- CONNECT: Entrepreneurs and business leaders to coaching, training, market resources and opportunities
We reach these pillars through three core programs:
Incubator — Micro-grants — Business Consulting
Our Incubator and Micro-grant programs are designed for in-crisis small or micro businesses led by young entrepreneurs from low income communities.
The livelihood of these young entrepreneurs depends on the success of their business. For these businesses to survive, they need the connections, tools and resources to support young entrepreneurs in building a sustainable business that can thrive.
- Our three-month Incubator Program is designed to help struggling small businesses survive by equipping them to develop relevant systems and structures to support sustainability. Tailored to support businesses at crisis, these programs leverage Kyusa’s extensive training and consulting expertise to provide small businesses and young entrepreneurs the tangible know-how to succeed.
- Our micro-grant program is among our most popular with donors. For many micro and early-stage small businesses in Uganda, even just $30 can make a significant impact on whether the business fails or succeeds. We offer micro-grants in the form of money or assets to vendors in need. Entrepreneurs receiving a micro grant also receive ongoing coaching and consultation to help them build a more sustainable and long-term business plan.
Our Business Consulting:
- Kyusa is also focused on building up and contributing to the broader entrepreneurship ecosystem. We recognize that for youth at the margins of society to succeed, they need connections, support and financing for sustainability.
- Through our work with established businesses and entrepreneurs, we create a network of support for our incubator and micro-grant participants. In addition, we provide leadership and business consulting to larger businesses in the ecosystem. Leveraging our proven curriculum, we are able to help advance the broader ecosystem, while subsidizing our work for lower-income communities and making connections between larger businesses and the incubator participants.
Kyusa launched in 2014 as a training and consultation organization focused on developing young entrepreneurs. Since its inception, Kyusa has provided capacity building training to over 2500 young people since conception, which led to the creation of more than 700 MSEs that collectively provided over 1,800 informal jobs. Of these, 70 are social enterprises that are tackling various social challenges in their communities. Kyusa has also provided over 50,000 hours of training and business mentoring to its program beneficiaries, and facilitated three business study trips within East Africa. Kyusa has so far raised $85,515 to support its operations.
The organization has also conducted training in 10 districts in Uganda, namely Kampala, Wakiso, Mukono, Luwero, Jinja, Mbale, Kisoro, Kasese, Busia and Ibanda, spread across the central, eastern and western regions of the country.
Through its innovative micro-grant program, Kyusa has so far supported 125 vendor businesses with micro grants ranging from $30 – $50, towards their sustainability and survival.
Now Kyusa is taking its robust and proven curriculum and consultation expertise to develop an incubator focused on helping micro and early-stage small businesses get through the early-stage hurdles that so often hinder success, especially for young entrepreneurs without the network or experience to tackle big challenges alone.
Kyusa graduates have started catering businesses, Events Management Companies, social enterprises, a football academy, Poultry farms, commercial farms, beauty shops, hair dressing businesses, Fashion & design boutiques, carpentry workshops, shoe making, craft making, crocheting businesses, makeup services, jewelry brands, soap making, skills training services and electronic repair shops among other ventures.
The Kyusa main office is currently located at level one on The Ark Building, plot 398, Gayaza road- Kampala, Uganda. P.o.box 11838, Kampala- Uganda.
Kyusa has its footprint in ten major districts of Uganda namely – Kampala, Wakiso, Luwero, Jinja, Busia, Kabale, Kisoro, Isingiro, Mbale and Ibanda. Although our head offices are in Kampala, we do have partner organisations that we work with in these respective districts.